Is There Dairy In Starbucks Vanilla Bean Powder? Is It Vegan Friendly?
If you are looking to make your own Starbucks vanilla-flavoured drinks at home and follow a vegan diet, you want to ensure you check if all the ingredients in your drink are vegan.
According to Stackbucks, their vanilla bean powder is indeed vegan, making it a great flavor addition to your favorite drinks.
We’ve discussed in more detail below exactly what Starbucks vanilla bean powder is made of, how to make your own and some vegan drinks at Starbucks to order.
What Is Starbucks Vanilla Bean Powder Made Of?
Starbuck’s vanilla bean powder is made of plant-based ingredients, this contains simple grind vanilla bean pieces and sugar which is also vegan.
Many people who are vegan need to be cautious when buying classic vanilla flavor powders since dairy can often be sneaked in to make the product sweeter and creamier, however, the Starbucks powder is simply vanilla bean and sugar.
Is The Starbucks Vanilla Bean Frappuccino Vegan?
If you are a lover of vanilla coffee you might have heard about the Starbucks vanilla bean frappuccino and wondered if it’s vegan?
The vanilla bean frappuccino can be made vegan at Starbucks if you avoid the cream and choose non-dairy milk, you should also be careful of the caramel drizzle on this drink which contains milk.
Which Starbucks Drinks Contain Vanilla Bean Powder?
Many Starbucks add in vanilla bean powder for a richer taste, we’ve listed the main Starbucks drinks which use their natural vanilla bean powder down below.
- Vanilla Bean Coconut Latte
- Ice Blonde Vanilla Latte
- Iced Toasted Vanilla Oatmilk Shaken Espresso
- Cafe Vanilla Frappuccino
- Vanilla Creme Drink.
Which Add-On Ingredients Are Not Vegan Friendly?
- Pumpkin spice sauce.
- Whipped cream.
- Protein powder.
- Java chips.
- Cinnamon dolce.
- Caramel drizzle.
What’s The Difference Between Starbucks Vanilla Powder & Bean Powder?
If you’ve been looking at purchasing powdered vanilla beans from Starbucks you might have also come across their vanilla powder and wondered what the difference is.
Vanilla bean extract powder and Starbucks vanilla powder are essentially the same things, vanilla powder just tends to be whiter since the vanilla bean pods are more ground. Vanilla powder can also be used in baking recipes due to its smooth consistency.
Which Starbucks Syrups Are Not Vegan?
If you love flavoring your coffees with syrups and other ingredients, you should be aware of which ingredients are vegan and not vegan when ordering for Starbucks.
We’ve listed what is and isn’t vegan down below to help you out.
- Chai lattes – These drinks are not vegan due to the Chai syrup used inside the coffee which has honey inside, the tea itself is vegan.
- Pumpkin spice sauce – This pumpkin spice sauce is not vegan since it contains milk.
- Creams – Some creams such as vanilla sweet, Irish cold foam and salted caramel cream are not vegan.
- Caramel brulee – This drink is not vegan due to the dairy inside of the brulee sauce, the topping itself is vegan.
- Other sauces – Caramel sauce, dark caramel sauce and white chocolate mocha sauce are not vegan.
How To Make Your Own Starbucks Vanilla Bean Powder
If you’re cautious about buying Starbucks pre-made vanilla bean powder then why not make your vegan version at home? This will ensure your coffee with vanilla bean powder is entirely vegan.
We’ve listed the recipe ingredients down below.
- Scraped vanilla beans.
- Powdered sugar.
- Start by measuring out your vegan powdered sugar and putting it in a blender then scrape out your two vanilla bean pods.
- Close the blender and blend on a high for around 30 seconds.
What Drinks Are Vegan At Starbucks?
If you’re a vegan, you do need to be careful when ordering at Starbucks, many recipes contain dairy in the cream or syrups might not be vegan.
We’ve listed which Starbucks drinks are vegan-friendly down below.
- Strawberry lemonade – This Starbucks drink is just a simple mix of lemonade and strawberry puree, completely vegan.
- Cafe latte – A classic latte from Starbucks is vegan as long as you choose dairy-free milk such as almond or oat milk.
- Hibiscus refresher – Hibiscus, ginger, and lemongrass gives this vegan drink a tangy, refreshing taste.
- Mocha frappucino – A mocha frappuccino can be made with a milk of choice and without cream if you want to keep it vegan. The mocha syrup itself is vegan.
- Violet drink – This is a mix of the hibiscus fresher and coconut milk as a choice of plant milk.
- London fog tea latte – The London Fog latte is a simple mix of earl grey tea, vanilla syrup and dairy-free milk (if chosen).
- Dragonfruit refresher – A popular summer drink for vegans consisting of fruit juice, freeze-dried dragonfruit and water, it can be paired with coconut plant-based milk.
- Iced matcha green tea latte – To make sure your iced matcha green tea latte is vegan then avoid dairy milk, choose plant-based milk instead and ask for no whipped topping.
- Flat white – Choose almond milk, soy milk or coconut milk to make this vegan.
- Cinnamon dolce frappuccino – The cinnamon dolce syrup in this coffee is vegan, ask for no whipped cream and get them to steam your milk of choice!
- Macchiato caramel – Get no caramel drizzle to make this drink vegan and pick no dairy milk.
- Coconut milk latte – This is a mix of Starbucks blonde espresso and coconut milk with some sugar sprinkled on top.
- Golden ginger – Made with coconut milk, turmeric, ginger and pineapple, a healthy yet delicious drink!
Homemade Vegan Starbucks Vanilla Ice Latte Recipe
If you crave a Starbucks-style ice vanilla latte at home but want to save money or use your animal-free milk, we’ve got a great vanilla latte recipe for you to make at home!
- Ice cubes.
- 35ml of soy milk.
- A drop of vanilla extract.
- One shot of espresso.
- Two spoons of maple syrup.
- Start by mixing your espresso shot and maple syrup in a tall shot glass then add in your plant milk and vanilla extract.
- Add in your ice cubes, stir and serve!
Frequently Asked Questions About Vegan Starbucks Vanilla Bean Powder
Are ground vanilla bean pods vegan?
Yes, ground vanilla bean pods are vegan as long as the powder has no other ingredients.
Which cold beverage is vegan at Starbucks?
There are many different vegan cold drink options at Starbucks to choose from; cold brew with non-dairy milk, oat milk/almond milk shaken espresso and iced cafe mocha.
Is condensed milk vegan?
No, condensed milk is not vegan, avoid ordering drinks with this ingredient.
What are dairy-free options at Starbucks for milk?
At Starbucks, you typically have a choice of; oat milk, almond milk and coconut milk.
Why is caramel sauce often not vegan?
Caramel sauce is not vegan since heavy cream and milk is often added to the drink to make it smoother and sweeter, it is not vegan at Starbucks and should be avoided to keep your drink vegan.
Can I use vanilla bean powder in vegan baking?
Vanilla bean powder is not often used in vegan baking since it contains natural vanilla bean pieces, vanilla powder is the more common option used in baking.
Overall, Starbucks vanilla bean powder is vegan and only contains natural forms of vanilla beans plus the addition of sugar, vanilla powder can contain dairy sometimes so always double check.
To make sure your Starbucks drink is vegan always choose no cream and non-dairy milk in drinks, be aware some sauces like caramel sauce in Starbucks contain dairy so should be avoided.