Our Guide To Making A Starbucks Doubleshot Espresso At Home
If you are craving a Starbucks Doubleshot espresso but want to save some money, you can always try making your espresso-style drink from the comfort of your own home.
To make a Starbucks Doubleshot espresso at home you will need simple syrup, espresso and cream or milk, the shot of espresso can be made without an espresso machine.
We’ve composed a guide below, discussing what a Starbucks espresso drink is, how to make your shot of espresso without an espresso machine, how to choose a good espresso machine and some tips for making.
What Is A Starbucks Doubleshot Espresso Drink?
The Starbucks Doubleshot espresso drink is a popular option, consisting of two shots of espresso which is chilled on ice plus milk and a classic simple syrup of your choice.
The drink is available in vegan by changing the milk to oat, almond or coconut plus comes in tall, grande and venti sizes.
- Syrup – Starbucks will pair any syrup of your choice in a double shot espresso, typically it will be two pumps in a tall, three in a grande and four in a venti.
- Espresso – Arabica espresso is used in these drinks with two shots for tall, three for grande and four for venti.
- Cream or milk – For the proper Starbucks doubleshot espresso taste, we would suggest adding cream, but the milk of choice can be subbed. We recommend, two tablespoons of cream for tall, three for grande and four for venti.
Check this article explaining What Is A Double Espresso.
How To Make A Shot Of Espresso Without An Espresso Machine
You might have held off making espresso shots at home if you don’t have a quality espresso machine, but you can make shots of espresso in alternate ways if you are craving strong coffee.
We’ve listed some ways to make hot espresso without a machine down below.
- Make strong coffee in a french press.
- Use an aero press.
- Go for a stove top Moka!
- Use strong fine ground coffee beans.
How Do I Choose An Espresso Machine?
If you are planning to cut back on Starbucks espresso drinks and make your own at home, it might be worth investing in a machine to make your espresso shots higher quality.
We’ve listed a few things to consider when choosing an espresso machine down below.
- Consider the types of drinks – If you like larger milky drinks more than short espresso drinks then it’s best to invest in a dual boiler or heat exchange machine, single boilers are for short drinks.
- Choose the automation – You can find semi-auto or manual espresso machines, manual options require more work but can often be cheaper.
- Get a grinder – For the best taste of espresso choose a good grinder, consider stepped or step-less, you can buy pre-ground espresso beans but they are not as quality tasting as when you grind fresh beans.
- Consider frothing – Check if your machine has an option for frothing milk ready, if not use a separate frother.
Find out here How Many Shots Of Espresso Is Safe?
Our Starbucks Doubleshot Espresso Recipe
Now we know all about these double espresso drinks and the ingredients, let’s get into how to make one at home for when you are craving espresso over ice.
- Three tablespoons of milk or cream.
- Three spoons of simple syrup.
- Three spoons of espresso.
- Grab a cocktail shaker and fill it up to the top with ice, add in the syrup, espresso and cream then shake to get as much froth as you want.
- Pour into a large glass and enjoy!
Modified Options For Making Starbucks Espresso
If you want to change up your frothy espresso drink, we recommend trying the following modifications.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon and brown sugar on top for extra sweetness.
- Use dairy-free milk to make it vegan, and check the syrup ingredients to make sure they are dairy free.
- Mix up the syrup flavours with hazelnut or vanilla syrup.
- Use blonde espresso for a lighter flavor to the espresso mixture.
To conclude, making a Starbucks Doubleshot espresso at home is easy, all you need is espresso, cream and simple syrup for the job.
If you do not have an espresso maker then use a Moka pot, strong coffee in a french press or an aero, just make sure to avoid burning the coffee for a bitter flavor.
Find out here How Much Caffeine In One Espresso Shot At Starbucks?